That are the most readily useful male/female cavy matches for best-buddy experience, and which matches could bring the absolute most dilemmas in their social everyday lives. I am hoping this informative article will causes things effortless them live happy together for you to decide on your guinea pigs’ social lives and make.
1. Why do you want one or more guinea pig?
Because guinea pigs are extremely social animals, it is usually suggested which they reside with a minumum of one another cage mate. Having only one guinea pig makes his/her life lonely, it doesn’t matter how long you may spend with them, as you are not (presumably, when you are scanning this) of a cavy species, but individual – which simply does not cut it. We don’t talk their language, although we are able to mostly determine what will they be wanting to tell us.
Solo guinea pig could get lonely, less wondering, less vocal, less active, less funny. It isn’t normal to allow them to live without the other of the sort.
Whenever residing together, guinea pigs would communicate together, play and run around more, follow and groom one another, and perchance also rest cuddled up together.
Whenever selecting cage mates, it will always be better to have a similar sex, or various gender but neutered – since there are a lot of abandoned guinea pigs in neighborhood dog shelters, and breeding is usually not advised, as you can help to save the people through the shelters. This, needless to say, extremely is dependent upon your location that is geographical and pig populace.
2. Fancy terms
- Boar: Male guinea pig.
- Sow: Female guinea pig.
- Sexing guinea pigs: Determining in case a guinea pig is a boar or a sow.
- Neutering: a broad term utilized to explain the castration of the animal that is male. It is composed of eliminating the testicles.
- Spaying: a broad term used to describe the ovariohysterectomy of the sow. It is made of a reduction of the sow’s reproductive organ – either the whole thing or perhaps a part that is considerably large. It really is a serious and complicated procedure that is surgical.
Both neutering and spaying are medical procedures that give the pet not capable of reproducing. A veterinarian performs them. They truly are mostly done due to the overpopulation of animal shelters – it is far better to save lots of the people which occur then to reproduce ones that are new.
If having an option, always neuter your male guinea pig. The procedure is much more difficult for feminine guinea pigs. Always speak to your guinea pig veterinarian first.
3. Preparations before presenting newbies
- You have to be 100% certain that the sex is known by you of the guinea pigs. There are several pages that are great this, like with this website website link. If you’re nevertheless unsure concerning the sex, pose a question to your veterinarian. Don’t count on the information directed at you by the animal store workers.
- Prepare a big sufficient cage – there is the minimal suggested proportions from the guinea pig cages page.
- If having two men, prepare separate hiding places and meals bowls, so each one of these might have “his very very own stuff”.
- The cage and all sorts of the cage add-ons should always be cleaned making use of vinegar, to eliminate all past scents. Rearranging the cage inside can also be suggested to get rid of the prevailing “personal touch”.
- Wash your guinea pigs to hide their natural somewhat fragrance. One great tip from Jackie’s Guinea Piggies is always to rub the hay through the current guinea pigs cage from the comer that is new. By doing this the newbie would significantly smell such as for instance a user for the herd.
- Quarantine duration for a guinea pig that is new. Your brand new guinea pig could carry some conditions that could incubate for a time, and distribute among your current cavies. Consequently, you should quarantine your guinea that is new pig at minimum a couple of weeks, therefore prospective ailments would show with time to stop epidemic. Keep consitently the newcomer from your recurring guinea pigs, and wash your hand always after managing the newcomer.
4. Guinea pig matches
The guinea that is following matches are purchased from easiest to possibly problematic.
- Two child guinea pigs
- Baby guinea pig and a mature guinea pig associated with exact same sex
- Neutered male and something or higher females
- Two females. It’s possible which they will never go along – depends upon their characters
- Two men could are now living in harmony, but that is based on a specific instance – again, regarding the character for the guinea pigs under consideration
5. Introductions guidelines and guidelines
- Whenever presenting guinea that is new, never put your new guinea pig straight into the cage where your old guinea pig has already been residing.
- Their chaturbate very first conference ought to be done regarding the big, enclosed ground that is“neutral – somewhere outside of the cage, in an area that is a new comer to both guinea pigs, like a specific area of the home or a bathroom.
- Spot a stack of hay and treats (vegetables) to the center regarding the area.
- Put all your valuable guinea pigs in to the area.
- Prepare some towels, just in case they begin to get physically aggressive.
- Observe they behaviour: ignoring each other is normal. Then, all this work might happen: mounting the other person, teeth chattering, chasing around, purring followed closely by swaggering stroll, etc. It really is a normal thing for them – establishing hierarchy, who’s the employer, who’s the friendly neighbor and whom does not care. This can simply just take about a full hour; from then on, you ought to nevertheless observe them for the next number of hours.
- Following the observing period (about 3 hours alltogether) they need to appear confident with one another. They can be placed by you in the cage together.
- Observe their behaviour within the cage for the next time frame, simply to make sure they’re okay.
- If they don’t appear to go along after their time together devoted in the ground that is neutral read further. You will need to throw a towel at the aggressive one and separate one from another if they start to get physically aggressive and fight.
6. Let’s say they don’t go along?
It’s possible that the guinea pigs won’t go along, regardless of what you are doing and just how very very carefully you have got read the instructions on this page that is manual. Don’t be alarmed or disheartened nature that is works this way.
In such a circumstance, you shall have to have them divided one way or another. The smartest thing to accomplish is always to have them near sufficient so they really could see, smell and communicate with one another, but are divided with a few style of a partition. These are typically nevertheless social, and achieving another guinea pig within their vicinity could be a deal that is great them.